Studies show that people are catching on to the social and emotional importance of a healthy, beautiful smile. Smile makeovers were previously thought to be a cosmetic procedure for only the rich and famous, but it is quickly becoming a common household term for many Americans today.
Even more than your clothing, posture, or other things about yourself, the condition of your teeth and smile speaks volumes.
When you feel confident about having a strong, bright, and well-aligned set of teeth, you subconsciously smile more. You are friendlier and more secure, and other people sense that, trust you, and want to be around you.
How to get a free smile makeover near me
We all deserve to have a lovely smile; but not everyone can afford one. Many people across the country struggle to make a daily living, such that they cannot allocate some of their finances to fixing their teeth and smiles. Fortunately, there’re quite a few state initiatives and nonprofits that aim at helping people to access free dental makeovers near them.
Here are some places you can get a free dental makeover:
|Organization||Types of Dental Services Offered||Age Group / Target Group||Locations||Free or Amount to be Paid|
|Smiles for Everyone||Basic and essential dental care||People who can't afford it||US and worldwide||Free|
|State-funded Medicaid or CHIP||Dental care for eligible individuals||-||US||Free|
|The Dental Lifeline Network||All dental procedures||Low-income individuals||US||Free|
|Give Kids A Smile||Screenings, preventive and restorative treatments, oral health education||Children under care||US||Free|
|Give Back A Smile||Dental treatments for victims of domestic abuse||18 years and above||US||Qualification required|
|Dentistry from the Heart||Tooth extraction, cleaning, filling||Adults over 18 years old||Global||Free|
|Missions of Mercy||Tooth extraction, cleaning, complex restorations, post-dental-surgery recovery care||-||Varies by state||Free|
|AAPD Foundation||Dental health promotion||Children||Varies||Varies|
|America's Dentists Care Foundation||Dental makeovers through partner organizations||Underserved populations||Varies||Varies|
|Smiles For Life||Teeth bleaching||-||Varies||Donation required|
Smiles for Everyone
Smiles For Everyone is a non-profit organization that’s dedicated to providing dental care in the US and around the world to people who can’t afford it.
Through its “Days of Giving” community events, this organization partners with volunteer dentists to provide free basic and essential dental care to those who need it most.
They also run a Smile Makeover program for specific patients, who can’t receive the treatment they require at a Day of Giving, where they get a full dental makeover at no cost.
State-funded Medicaid or CHIP
Medicaid was created to assist those without insurance or who are unable to pay for essential medical care. For those with low income, it is an excellent program (again, based on government poverty requirements) for funding your dental makeover project.
Medicaid assists people by providing a wide range of healthcare services, including dental care. Free medical care is available to anyone who is:
- Less than 18-years old
- Over 65-years old
Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is a program that is available for kids. It follows a precise plan to provide for their medical needs. The bare minimum should be:
- Infection and pain relief
- Restorative dentistry
- Upkeep of dental health
The Dental Lifeline Network
The Dental Lifeline Network offers a myriad of programs with the sole goal of giving people a reason to smile. This non-profit organization strives to assist people who require dental care but are unable to pay for it. And the best thing is that they allow all dental procedures, provided you need it, and qualify for their program.
Its top programs include:
- Donated dental services – This service is provided by volunteers. In the US, it has 15,000 dentists and 3,400 dental labs. Since 1985, they have raised $500 million in donations for those who cannot afford even basic medical care and have so far been able to assist 165,600 people.
- Will You See One Veteran: Only 15% of veterans are qualified for dental care through the Veterans Health Administration, despite the fact that they are more prone to encounter poorer oral health problems. This nonprofit assists in getting these patients free dental care. You can take advantage of this opportunity if you are a veteran who served your country in battle. They collaborate with a sizable group of people, including dentists and volunteers.
But to qualify for this free dental makeover service, you must first prove that you have a low income and no insurance. Otherwise, you must be over 61 years old, permanently disabled, or have a dental emergency to get the free treatments.
Give Kids A Smile
Give Back A Smile
Dentistry from the Heart
Missions of Mercy
America’s Dentists Care Foundation
Smiles For Life
Specific eligibility criteria and services provided may vary. It is recommended to visit the respective organization’s website or contact them directly for more information.
Benefits of a smile makeover
A beautiful smile communicates your mood and health. In fact, recent studies have revealed that smiling, as opposed to looking angry, sour, or unhappy, can benefit your life in multiple ways.
- Smiling causes your own state-of-mind to be positive. Whether you are sad, angry, or bored, a smile can easily transform your mood. You begin to view the world in a more positive way, which opens the door to more positive interactions throughout your day.
- Smiling causes your brain to automatically release chemicals that alert your body you’re happy. Even when forcing a smile, the brain still releases those chemicals. So, the more you smile, the happier you feel, and the more you feel like smiling.
- Smiling can change the way people around you are feeling. When you approach a person or group of people with a smile on your face, you can change the reactions of the people you interact with. A smile is contagious; so when you smile, they will automatically smile back.
- Smiling is easy and attractive. You use fewer muscles when smiling compared to when you frown, and a great smile brightens your face.
Planning a dental makeover
When you have missing, misaligned, chipped, or unattractive teeth, you can feel self-conscious about smiling or speaking in public. If your smile is not at its best, you may feel held back socially and unable to reach your life goals professionally. Even normal day-to-day tasks can seem more daunting because of your life insecurities.
A healthy smile not only makes you more attractive, confident, and approachable, but also gives you a healthy mouth. Amazing how such a small thing can impact your life in so many ways.
Fortunately, a smile makeover can help to create a better, brighter, and healthier smile using one or more dental procedures, such as whitening, tooth implants, braces, dental veneers, and re-contouring, among others. The necessary procedures are unique to your dental needs, and in just a couple of visits to your dentist, you can boost your self-esteem and look years younger with your new smile.